A Little Bit Brave
Book Module Navigation
Explore the virtues of bravery with bunny friends Luna and Logan.
The stay at home bunny, Logan, is friends with Luna, the daring bunny. One day, despite his fears, Logan embarks on an adventure to find Luna in the scary outdoors. Logan shows that by being a little bit brave you can accomplish a lot.
Read aloud video by Lemon-Lime Storytime
Guidelines for Philosophical Discussion
A Little Bit Brave by Nicola Kinnear raises issues about bravery, adventures, and friendships. Luna the bunny tells Logan the bunny that sometimes he needs to be “a little bit brave” and leaves for outside. Even though Logan is very scared, he goes out to find Luna. Logan has to demonstrate bravery throughout the story as he goes on his adventure outside. This raises the question of what it means to be brave. Students can consider what bravery looks like and discuss if they have to feel brave to be brave.
While outside, Logan dives into the river, rides on a deer, and tiptoes into a cave. All of this is part of his grand adventure into the outdoors. While this was scary for Logan, students can discuss if they consider traveling outdoors an adventure for Luna, who wasn’t scared of the great outdoors. What makes something an adventure? Do you have to be brave to be adventurous?
At the end of the story, Logan even saves Luna from a hungry wolf. Students can reflect on what it means to be a friend. What does a good friend look like? Did Logan have to save Luna from the wolf? Students can consider what obligations we might have to our friends.
Questions for Philosophical Discussion
- At the beginning of the story, Luna tells Logan that he needs to be “a little bit brave”. Was Logan brave? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to be a little bit brave?
- The other animals tell Logan that Luna is the “bravest bunny in the world!”.
- Why do they say this? What does it mean to be the bravest?
- Is Luna brave? Is she more brave than Logan? Is Logan more brave than Luna?
- Was Luna brave if she wasn’t scared?
- When Logan saw the wolf, he hid behind a tree and didn’t feel very brave. Can you do something brave but not feel brave?
- Have you ever done something brave but didn’t feel very brave at the time?
- Before Logan goes outside he packs a snorkel, flashlight, his favorite scarf, and cookies. Why does he do this?
- Does Logan go on an adventure? Was this an adventure for Luna?
- Have you ever been on an adventure? What made it an adventure?
- Do you have to be brave for something to be an adventure? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to be adventurous? Is Logan adventurous? Is Luna?
- Why did Logan go outside? Why did Luna go outside?
- Why was Luna upset with Logan?
- Is Logan a good friend to Luna?
- Is Luna a good friend to Logan?
- What makes someone a good friend? What makes someone a bad friend?
- Did Logan have to go outside to find Luna? Did Logan have to save Luna from the Wolf?
- Do we have obligations to our friends?
Find tips for leading a philosophical discussion on our Resources page.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.